Date: August 30, 2022 7:32:22 PM UTC
Title: Senior Data Engineer
Type: Full-Time Position (Remote)
Location: Remote anywhere in the U.S.
Sponsorship: No sponsorship will be provided for this role. Must be a US Citizen.
We are seeking a senior data engineer to join the Engineering Team in this Boston-based company and support a new and rapidly growing data science program within the company to solve big problems faced by members of the US military, veterans, family members, caregivers, and survivors. Reporting to the Director of Engineering, you will work with a combination of US-based software engineers as well as an off-shore contracted development team. You will be responsible for a data warehouse with billions of data points that are protected and ethically used for the benefit of the millions of users sharing this information. Data is the engine that powers the business.
- You will be responsible for all aspects of the data infrastructure including: production and development databases, an off-line data warehouse, and a data lake.
- You will be responsible for designing and implementing a cost-effective and efficient data replication and backup strategy.
- While there are aspects of database administration, this is primarily an engineering role and you will be a member of the development team.
- The ideal candidate will be comfortable with database and data pipeline design, have software development skills (the more the better), understand the core concepts around machine learning infrastructure, have worked extensively in the cloud, and care deeply about data security.
- Write optimized queries, views and triggers for integration with other applications such as data science.
- Oversee data pipelines and a data lake.
- Develop and maintain database replication and clustering.
- Monitor and optimize database performance and capacity planning including backup and recovery.
- Troubleshoot data pipeline issues, maintain data systems availability.
- Plan and execute for data system scalability.
- Oversee data security as part of the overall company information security program.
- Develop and optimize data pipeline design for new applications.
- As required, perform technical research, and oversee special projects.
- 5+ years of experience as a data engineer using cloud based systems. Experience with AWS is a plus.
- Subject matter expertise in PostgreSQL is required. Familiarity with RedShift would be a plus.
- Solid knowledge of server monitoring for detection of emerging issues.
- Experience with data intensive applications used to feed machine learning applications.
- Experience working as part of a distributed development team using an Agile SDLC.
- Degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or other STEM discipline is ideal.
Location: Boston, Massachusetts, United States, US
Job Type: FULL_TIME
Experience Requirements: 4 Year